Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:39:20 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "FreeBSD Question List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sendmail problem

Hi all,

I have been running a freeBSD mail server for our company for ages with no
problems (this would probably be a good time to admit that it has not been
upgraded since the year dot (uname reports FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE).  If it
ain't broke - don't fix it! :)

In the last few day I am suddenly having problems with our remote users (on
another site, connected via a VPN) who SMTP via this server, and I'm
stumped.

When I do "ps -ax | grep sendmail" on the server, I get:

  404  ??  S      0:00.02 sendmail: server stuart.mydomain [10.3.15.113]
child wait (sendmail)
  405  ??  S      0:00.02 sendmail: MAA00405 stuart.mydomain [10.3.15.113]:
DATA (sendmail)

Now, I've never seen these processes before.  I presume they usually run so
quickly accepting mail from the client that one does not catch them, but
these are hanging around "forever".  Eventually the mail client (Outlook in
this case) times out and report some arbitrary M$ error at the TCP/IP
connection.

The same users are still able to POP just fine, and even HTTP on the same
box (our Intranet server is the same box) is fine, so I think it is safe to
rule out any routing problem.  I've also checked the firewall logs, and
there are no deny message there.

It's one of those strange problems, because "We haven't changed a thing!".
Where have you heard that before? :)

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly
---