Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2022 17:29:35 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic while making buildlernel on RPi3

On 2022-Mar-4, at 13:48, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> For the first time a panic has occurred while making buildkernel
> on an RPi3. The same machine successfully ran stress2's misc/all.sh
> test suite for a couple of days, so I'm surprised. Granted, that was
> a few updates ago and this is on -current, but still..... buildkernel
> is not the trigger expected.
>=20
> The backtrace and build logs

Unfortunately, the crash means that the buffers were not
flushed to media when the problem occurred. The build log
is incomplete compared to what actually built and where
it actually stopped.

So I'm not sure how you got:

--- ng_pppoe.kld ---
ld: error: no input files
*** [ng_pppoe.kld] Error code 1

When I looked at the buildkernel.log file provided,
it stopped without such:

--- all_subdir_netgraph ---
Building =
/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/net=
graph/pptpgre/ng_pptpgre.o

It had no more.

With the then-running kernel file and its .debug file in
place, it would be possible to dump the instructions
in _rm_rlock_debug(), sysctl_root_handler_locked(),
sysctl_root(), and so on. Someone might then be able to
associate the code around:

_rm_rlock_debug+0x8c
sysctl_root_handler_locked+0x140
sysctl_root+0x1ac
userland_sysctl+0x140

with whatever corresponds in the source code.

> are at=20
> http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/rpi3/crashes/20220304/readme
> but unfortunately I didn't anticipate trouble and so didn't
> capture very much.
>=20

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard