Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:30:13 -0800
From:      Dan Yergeau <yergeau@gloworm.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Andy Small <andysmidgen@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linksys tulip card?

If it is a really old Linksys (with a real Dec tulip chip), use the
"de" driver.

If it is an older Linksys LNE100TX (with a 82c168 or 82c169), do as
others have suggested and use the "pn" driver.

If it is a relatively new Linksys LNE100TX (v2.0; with the 82c115
PNIC II chip; this is the card that I have), you will want to use
the latest rev of the appropriate branch (RELENG_3 if you are
running 3.x) of the "mx" driver.  PNIC II support was added between
FreeBSD 3.2 and 3.3, but the driver distributed in 3.3-RELEASE has a
few bugs (it sometimes incorrectly negotiates 100baseT4 leading to a
kernel panic).  You can get the latest driver sources from

  http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pci/Attic/if_mx.c
    Click on the 1.8.2.9 rev for the latest (last) in RELENG_3

  http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pci/Attic/if_mxreg.h
    Click on the 1.2.2.5 rev for the latest (last) in RELENG_3
    (only needed if you don't have 3.3-RELEASE)

From the cvs logs, there also appears to be a new merged driver,
"dc", that supports real Dec tulips and workalikes such as the
82c16[89] and the 82c115.  It is not clear to me whether those
driver sources are appropriate for 3.X (-STABLE), or if they will
only work with 4.X (-CURRENT).

Dan