Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 19:46:23 GMT
From:      Jeremy Prior <jez@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mirror/perl

In freebsd-hubs you write:

# I ran mirror -n -d -d -d -d -pall (where all is /pub/FreeBSD)
# and tail of my mirror.out looks this:

Sorry, I don't run mirror here, so I can't tell you what the problem is, but
looking at the code you include, I can tell you *where* the problem is! :-)

# dest FreeBSD-CVS/src/gnu/lib/libmalloc/Attic/valloc.c,v (): 70/01/01-01:00:00 0 0
                                                          ^^^ Giveaway!

# One can see easily that the dest timestamp is 1-Jan-1970 (the unix big bang)

The reason for this is below:

#               if( $debug > 2 ){
#                         &msg( "       dest $dest_path ($desti): " .
#                                 &t2str( $dest_time[ $desti ] ) );

t2str is being called with the $desti element of the list $dest_time.  As
can be seen from the output, $desti == "" == 0, so t2str is being called
with the zero'th element of $dest_time.  I'd surmise that this is also zero,
because:

# sub t2str
# {
#         local( @t );
#         if( $use_timelocal ){
#                 @t = localtime( $_[0] );
#         }
#         else {
#                 @t = gmtime( $_[0] );
#         }

one of localtime/gmtime is being called with the first argument of t2str.
If this element is zero, then the unix big-bang datetime is returned:

    % perl -e 'print scalar localtime 0, "\n"'
    Thu Jan  1 01:00:00 1970

# Any perl guru out there who could give me a hint what tiny test I could
# run to locate the problem?

All you need to do now is find out why $desti is null, and you'll have your
answer! :-)

# --
# Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

(If you get really stuck, I could fetch and install mirror, and have a look
 at it ...)

jez
--
Jeremy Prior                                      <jez@netcraft.co.uk>
Netcraft,  Rockfield House,  Granville Road,  Bath,  BA1 9BQ,  England