Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 09:54:32 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Taylor Dondich <thexder@lvcm.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My horror story

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 02:23:00AM -0700, Taylor Dondich wrote:

> The hard-drive took a serious hit.  And the system was extremely old.  It
> held it's head high as it served internal DNS requests and pumped its arms
> in fury as my web requests hit it as hard as it could.

"Write caching" on the HD hardware contributes to that problem.

> Also, I'm now looking into a Universal Power Supply solution.

Is *Uninteruptable* Power Supply.

> Something from APS, I feel.  However, I don't know if the PowerChute
> software they supply will work with FreeBSD.  Anyone have any ideas or
> comments?

A UPS without being connected via "Power Chute" or similar is a 90%
solution which would have saved your posterior in the situation you
describe.

There are utilities in ports for monitoring UPS health. I've never used
one altho I have UPS's on most of my FreeBSD systems. And Macintosh.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net