Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2003 13:25:49 +0000
From:      Anthony Naggs <tony@ubik.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
Subject:   Re: Ax88172 vs FreeBSD USB stack

In article <20030328183858.7B2DB37B401@hub.freebsd.org>, Bill Paul
<wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG> writes

>So. I picked up a Linksys USB200M USB 2.0 ethernet adapter that uses
>the ASIX Electronics AX88172 chip, and I started cobbling together a
>driver. This chip uses a series of vendor specific commands to do
>things like read/write the MII management interface on the MAC,
>read/write the SROM, set the RX filter, multicast hash table, etc.
>I can do all this no problem. The Linksys NIC uses a RealTek 8201L
>PHY, and I can attach it and negotiate a link.

I have a Netgear FA120, also following ASIX's 'demonstration design',
(i.e. reference design), of AX88172 and Realtek 8201L phy.

I've not tried it with FreeBSD yet, but I had in mind to use NetBSD's
uax driver for the AX88172 as the starting point!

uax man page:
http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi/man?uax+4+NetBSD-current

Netbsd cvs web:
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/usb/if_uax.c