Date:      Tue, 08 Apr 1997 11:22:56 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        dkeller@psln.com
Subject:   Re: ftp installation and Book Recommendation

Daniel Keller wrote:

> Hi,
> First my question:
> I would like to install FreeBSD 2.2.1 using the ftp installation option.
> But when I tell it to start it never connects to the modem. I get sent to
> ppp, I go into term and the modem never responds to the AT commands, I have
> ppp setup and usually it connects fine.
>
> Second, a book recommendation:
> Sorry this is really the wrong mailing list for this, but I think it would
> be most useful to the people on this list. I recently purchased the book
> "Unix Internals - A Practical Approach" by Steve D. Pate, and I would
> highly recommend it to anybody else who would like to know about the inner
> workings of Unix, the book is about SCO Unix, but most thing should be the
> same for FreeBSD. The only differences I have noticed are the name of some
> devices are different.

*WARNING* If the books is on OS internals, then your assumption on the
resemblence of SCO and FreeBSD may be way off. SCO is SYS V-ish, which
is as different from FreeBSD as a UN*X flavour can be. I've never seen
it though, so I may (as usual) be wrong. The handbook has a list of good
books, but the general rule of thumb is that anything that talks of
4.4BSD will fit nicely. For internals, that's "The Design and
Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System".

> Info about the book:
>
> Title:  Unix Internals - A Practical Approach
> Author:  Steve D. Pate
> ISBN:  0-201-87721-X
> Publisher:  Addison-Wesley
> Prices:  $40-$60?
>
> I would like to hear some more advanced Unix users opinions on this book.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel Keller
Nadav