Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 19:39:28 +1000
From:      Stephen Hocking <shocking@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: restore seems to be misbehaving

> As Louis A. Mamakos wrote:
>
> > When I run 'restore -t', I get a bunch of 'resync restore' errors.  What's
> > strange is that when I run 'dd if=/dev/rst0 bs=20b | restore -t -f -'
> > instead, everythings works just fine.
> >
> > What really puzzles me is that when I ktrace the first case, I notice
> > that the read(2) syscall is returning 32K bytes, rather than the 10K bytes
> > that I expected:

I was just bitten by this too - repartitioned my hard drive and lost a few
files when restoring my /usr/src fs. I'm running with an NCR 810 also. I'll
keep the dd trick in mind. The command used to back things up with a large
number of QIC-150 tapes was "dump Obf 120000 /dev/rst0 /usr/src". Most
puzzling.

	Stephen