Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:19:32 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@glacier.cold.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Postscript Printing problems (printcap)

I am experiencing a very odd problem.  The first file I send to the
printer will print fine.  Any subsequent files will not print, and the
light on the priter will blink indefinitely.  However, I accidentally
stumbled upon something that causes it to continue to print other things.
If I run tip on the same device as the lpd is using, I get echo'd output
of the subsequent files I print and everything works (??).

Printer: Apple Laserwriter II NTX

/etc/printcap entry:

    lp|ps|PS|S|Apple|Apple LaserWriter IINTX:\
        :sh:\
        :mx=0:\
        :br#9600:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/isp:\
        :lp=/dev/ttydl:\
        :if=/usr/local/libexec/psif:\
        :lf=/var/log/isp.log:

/etc/remote entry:

    printer:dv=/dev/ttydl:br#9600:pa=none

I can print a file with 'lpr file.ps' and it will print.  Doing the same
again it does not print, and the light blinks indefinitely.  However if I
type 'tip printer' I see all of the output of the second file, with the
printer's responses etc as it parses/compiles the file, ending with the
appropriate 'showpage' and subsequent printing.

WHY is it doing this??  In /etc/rc.serial I am setting the device as
simply 'default l'.

-Brandon Gillespie