Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 1995 10:57:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      julian@TFS.COM (Julian Elischer)
To:        bugs@ns1.win.net (Mark Hittinger)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Repair floppies - what should we have? (fwd)

>From doing many repairs, The following are needed
1/ A SHELL ! (and init I guess)
2/ definitly fsck
3/ fdisk, the manual version
4/ bootblocks
5/ disklabel
6/ mount_nfs,  ifconfig, and route, also telnet and ftp
7/ chroot
8/ a symlink from /usr/lib to /mnt/usr/lib so that if
   there are binaries on the HD you want, you can get to the shared libs..
9/ mount_mfs..(as a link to newfs, which it is anyhow)
10/ mount_dosfs (or whatever it's called these days..)
11/ a cpio (or tar) file contailing all the  non-file nodes in the system..
	e.g. devices.. , and cpio (or tar) to unpack it
12/ CMHOD! (HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I FORGOTTEN THIS?
13/ dd
14/ od (to dump WHY block xxx is wrong)
15/ bad144 and scsi_remap (when they work)

most of these are already in the big 'crunch' file.. right?

> > Remounting of a different floppy on the same drive doesn't work, so the
> > prompt would have to be given before mounting root.
you can easily swap disks during boot by booting -c and puting in a floppy
when the config prompt comes up..

Basically we are looking for the old 2-floppy boot set.

> The second floppy had the other goodies.
we COULD add code to the floppy drive to allow us to mount
two partitions, say a, and e, and have the floppy driver
ask the user to swap floppies whenever the wrong one is accessed?
(probably not all that hard..)

julian