Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 12:29:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        questions list FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HELP!: page fault (revisited)

On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Charles Owens wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Guy Helmer wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, Charles Owens wrote:
> >
> > > Folks:
> > >
> > > I'm still having trouble with page faults, and it seems to occur when I
> > > create users.
> > >
> > > Some more background:
[...]
> > > 	from /var/yp -   make -DNOPUSH
> > > 	create new user directory, etc.
> > > 	quotaoff -a
> > > 	edquota -Pprotouser -u newuser
> > > 	quoton -a
> > >
> > > After last user is created:
> > > 	from /var/yp -   make      (pushing to NIS sub servers)
> > > 	quotaoff -a
> > > 	quotacheck -a
> > > 	quoton -a
> >
> > I don't understand the need to do "quotaoff -a" before the edquota and
> > "quotaon -a" after the edquota when adding a user, nor anything with
> > quotas after the NIS make.  As someone else stated, the quota code is
> > shaky; perhaps turning quotas off and on triggers some bugs.
>
> I started doing this based on a recommendation that someone (I believe it
> was Terry Lambert) made a while back.  Maybe I should try not turning it
> on and off...

Ok, I've changed my script such that it no longer switches quotas off
before doing an equota or a quotacheck.  I then processed 25 or so new
users (which is usually more than enough to cause a crash) and everything
seems to be working fine!  Maybe this _was_ the problem.

So, this begs the question:  Is it bad to run edquota while quotas are
enabled?   Terry?

thanks to all who've responded!!!
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X