Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 2015 22:38:22 +0300
From:      Vasile Buruiana <bvasea@gmail.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UFS mount failure - disk slice created on and64, unable to mount on sparc64

Yesm I played with a harddisk connected via IDE to the sun and later
to the laptop via USB-to-IDE adapter. Currently I'm trying to
buildworkd+buildkernel on the sun using some contents of the /usr/obj
cross-compiled on the amd-64 laptop to speed up the process (that's
how I found the problem), so I'm writing these from my memory:

This happened on the SUN:

gpart create -s mbr ada0
gpart add -t freebsd ada0
gpart create -s bsd ada0s1
gpart add -s 1G -t freebsd-zfs ada0s1

newfs -U /dev/ada0s1

copy stuff, umount, invalid argument while attempting to mount on the laptop.

gpart create -s vtoc8 ada0
gpart add -t freebsd ada0
gpart create -s bsd da0s1
gpart add -s 1G -t freebsd-zfs ada0s1
newfs -U /dev/ada0s1

copy suff, unmount, again invalid argument while attempting to mount
on the laptop.

Same when creating on the laptop and mounting on the sun.

When moving the harddisk from one unit to the other, at boot (or at
usb insert) the kernel reports:
g_dev_taste: make_dev_p() failed (gp->name=da0a, error=17)     or ada0a
and many slices appear in /dev:
da0a
da0aa
da0ab
da0b
da0c
da0ca
da0cb
(or ada0s1a, ada0s1aa, ada0s1ab, ada0s1b, ada0s1bb, ada0s1c, ada0s1ca
on the sparc64....)

and so on, same for mbr/vtoc8, same for bsd/zfs.

These are some geom-relaed errors as I read on some other mailing
lists, so I tried to identify the problem by simplifying things until
I reduced everything to image file attached to md.

The Sparc also ran a FreeBSD 6.1-release perfectly, the ufs mbr
partition could be mounted on a x86 for fsck or other maintenance with
absolutely no problems. Seems that the advances in technology are
still causing headaches in keeping the things simple.

I will try to makefs -B big on the amd64 but I doubt i will also be
able to mount it on the same machine.

Best wishes
Vasile