Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:01:23 -0700
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: restoring disklabel from an active disk?

Jerry McAllister wrote:

> I guess I have forgotten what you said about your original setup.

I had ad0s1 as a windows partition and ad0s2[a..g] for FreeBSD.

> Do you need two slices?   What was in the "other" slice?
> Can you read anything from the disk - files?  If so, something
> is still working and is probably OK.   If not, you are probably
> beyond the possibility of recovery short of going to one of those
> companies that specialize in recovering nuked disks.

I think I'm close to getting back to level ground. fdisk saw the
disk as one huge FreeBSD partition, so I re-ran it to take the
first third for Windows and the rest for FreeBSD. That was what I
originally did, but there's a whole lot of room for error.

The disk works fine: I have access to all my files, I have
suspended and resumed, I'm using it right now.

> Generally if a new label is actually written to the disk, things
> are usually nuked and you have to start over.   Once you get in to
> that area, it is getting beyond me.

Me too: I'm sure a reinstall will be happening Real Soon Now. I
have backed up my home and grabbed a list of all the ports I've
installed, so I'll lose nothing more than some time.

--
Paul Beard / 8040 27th Ave NE / Seattle WA 98115 /
paulbeard [at] mac [ dot] com / 206 529 8400

http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype

CChheecckk  yyoouurr  dduupplleexx  sswwiittcchh..