Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:59:04 GMT
From:      Richard Caley <richard@caley.org.uk>
To:        Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or DesktopOS?)

> I think the answer is obviously, long time testing and monitoring.

> But you can have a -STABLE that is reliable and *critical* patches are
> applied quickly. I believe that this is what mostly this thread is about.

I refer the honourable gentleman to his above comment `long time
testing and monitoring'.

How can you have patches applied quickly and also have long time
testing necessary to assure everyone that it is not going to break
somethign way-over-there. That is my understanding of the difference
between RELEASE and STABLE. Releases have intensive testing as an
integrated whole.

Of course it all comes down to what is considered critical. The bind
fixes went in quickly because they filled big holes in many
instlations and are relatively isolated. A fix to somethign deep in
ther kernel which is not biteing many people?

      ^_^
     (O O)
     \_/@@\
      \\~~/