Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 09:10:40 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, FreeBSD-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Proposed Charter for -advocacy

On Wed, 13 May 1998 at 14:31:56 +0000, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> Mr. Hubbard has been consistent in his calls for activity to back up
> discussion. For a hodge podge of different people to be effective there
> should be some degree of organization.
>
> The core enjoys a degree of organization; so should advocacy.
>
> In lay terms: Let's get our stuff together as a group.
>
> I propose a charter for -advocacy. This charter will serve to transform
> -advocacy from a channel of communications (discussion part) about FreeBSD
> to an organizational unit (activity part) _within_ FreeBSD, Inc.
>
> Let's make -advocacy officially recognized as the "FreeBSD Advocacy
> Group".
>
> Before I propose any tenets (I have some in mind) let us first decide
> whether there is interest in such a charter. If there is such an interest,
> then we can begin the real discourse.
>
> I move that FreeBSD, Inc and its community membership begin the charter of
> the "FreeBSD Advocacy Group".
>
> Does anyone second the motion?

Sort of.  The idea's good, but it seems to me that you're going about
this in too formal a manner.  FreeBSD is an anarchy, where people just
do things.  If the others like it, they say so, or at least shut up.
If they don't, they shout them down.

Now sure, it's a good idea to get some feedback before you go to a lot
of trouble just to get shouted down.  But I think the route to success
here is to start up something and present it, rather than suggest
starting up something.  For example, a 10-line charter which can be
sent to new subscribers would be a good place to start.

Greg (in shouting-down mode :-)