Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:00:52 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>, Sean Chittenden <sean-freebsd-stable@chittenden.org>, Jeff Kletsky <Jeff+freebsd@wagsky.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pkg_version perl hacker project

--JI+G0+mN8WmwPnOn

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 01:48:33AM -0700, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> 	Man I'm glad I only sunk in a few minutes worth of work.
> Thanks!  I was looking for something with the word ports in it, but it
> didn't dawn on me to look for something with pkg.  At anyrate, thanks
> again.  -sc

At least it was a learning experience, right? :-)

If you're still in pkg_* perl script hacking mode, we could use a
utility which does the following:

Parses a set of ports security advisories, extracts a list of
vulnerable package versions described in some form (regex/glob
expression/etc) and checks for any vulnerable packages installed.
We'd need to agree on a standard form to use in the advisories to aid
in parsing.

This could be done as an extension to pkg_version, since much of the
code you will need to manage versions is already there, and it's a
logical extension of that program's function.

NetBSD have a port called audit-packages which does something similar,
but not quite the same as the above (last I checked) -- it might still
be useful as a starting point.

Interested?

Kris

--JI+G0+mN8WmwPnOn