Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:46:04 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        fs@freebsd.org, mckusick@freebsd.org
Subject:   heavy NFS writes lead to corrup summary in superblock

Our amd64 6.1-STABLE system is used to collect backup dumps from production
systems (mostly -- Solaris) via NFS. When in progrss, the dumps arrive at an
average rate of 20Mb/s.

Every once in a while I notice a discrepancy in the amount of used space on
the backup FS as reported by df vs. that reported by the total du.

Unmounting the FS and fsck-ing it fixes the problem with fsck reporting
(despite the clean unmount):

	SUMMARY BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
	SALVAGE? yes

The FS is intended for very few very large files and was created
with "newfs -b 65536 -O1" (no softupdates).

This workaround (explicit fsck) is acceptable for us, but it is a sign of some
kind of rot, and I thought, you'd like to know...

Yours,

	-mi