Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:19:42 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   linux fortran compilers?

Is anyone else running a linux fortran compiler on FreeBSD?  We have
two boxes coming--a thinkpad a21p in about 2 weeks, and a dual athlon
once it ships--whose primary purposes will be to develop fortran code
for bashing numbers.  As far as I know, there are no commercial fortran
compilers targeted to freebsd (and the free compilers almost implement
f77; I need f90 plus one or two f95 features).

I'd rather stick with FreeBSD for both boxes (I'll almost surely use
the same on both), but does anyone have experience with this?  My
current data seems to be:

1) Lahey.  Price is right, phone supporte, no graphical debugger--deal
   killer. (I *need* to watch variables while single stepping).
2) Absoft.  Expensive, but I spent a lot of time with it a couple of
   years ago (I ended up a beta tester after some of the strange things
   I found.)
3) NAG. INtermediate C.  No multithreading.  NAG library is
   outrageously priced even for academic use.
4) Portland group.  Annual maintennance fee (yuck).  Develops mp code.
   email support.

None seem to indicate that they test on freebsd--or even have any idea
whether their compiler or built code would run . . .

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.       Smeal 178    (814) 375-4700
dochawk@psu.edu