Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 00:12:14 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: compilation problems under -current of today

Andreas Klemm wrote:
> FreeBSD-current of today, fbsd-smp of today:
>
> Somebody other seen this ? My configuration ?
> Well a simple GENERIC kernel produced similar messages.
>
> make -ki
>
> cc -c -x assembler-with-cpp -DLOCORE -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../.. -I/usr/include
     -DTELES_HAS_MEMCPYB -DMD5 -DCOMPAT_43 -DNSWAPDEV=3 -DMFS -DFFS -DINET -DKE
    RNEL ../../i386/i386/exception.s
> machine/smpasm.h: Assembler messages:
> machine/smpasm.h:28: Error: no such 386 instruction: `extern'
[...]

Err, something is busted somewhere..  smpasm.h shouldn't have any 'C' type
keywords in it.. It should be mostly #defines....  And line 28 is a #define.

Have you done this from a fresh 'config' run?  Do you have the /sys symlink
pointing to the right place?

Have you looked at -current?  The smp code just got merged!

-Peter