Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:18:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Niels Provos: CVS: cvs.openbsd.org: src

:This just went into OpenBSD and looks way cool. :-)  Anybody with lots
:of spare time wanna port it :-)
:
:Warner

    Hmm.  Looks VERY interesting, though I shudder at the overhead.  It
    would not be too hard to do w/ FreeBSD but in order to avoid low-memory
    deadlocks we would have to encrypt the page in-place and then free it
    after the pageout (or de-encrypt it in place after the pageout to retain
    the page).  The tie-ins are trivial.  We could add a flags field to the
    swblock structure and then simply tie-in to swstrategy().

    I would like to see a general cryptographic VFS layer - instead of
    having a specific cryptfs we instead should have a VFS layer that
    we can stack on any filesystem and enable with a mount option, kinda
    like how union mounts work now except easier since we need only
    overlay the VOP_READ/WRITE/GETPAGES/PUTPAGES functions.  Imagine:

	mount -o crypt=KEY /dev/sd0d /mnt

					-Matt