Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 18:07:54 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@psknet.com>
To:        <ryder_a@chasma.net>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: question about Dual NICs

Best bet, would be to run BGP with both providers.  If this is not an
option, ask each to advertise the block of IPs from the other.

You do NOT want to go and assign 2 IPs to each server you have, the reason
for this, is that with 2 IPs, you'll end up with a round-robin DNS.  If one
T1 is down, then 1/2 the people trying to reach a server on your network
will fail.

BGP isn't too difficult to set up, and contrary to popular belief, you can
still do this on older/smaller hardware.  Just do the announcements, don't
worry about taking full tables from either provider.  You can get away with
simply setting 2 default routes and letting your router bounce the outbound
traffic between the 2 lines.

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks

It's always a long day, 86400 doesn't fit into a short