Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 04:57:47 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        dan@BSDpro.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding a new function to libc

Daniel Hemmerich wrote:

> Any comments, suggestions, swears concerning adding a new function,
> strndup(), to libc?
>
> So that instead of permitting it to attempt to allocate a large
> chunk of memory, it is possible to give it a max length.

How about just knowing what you are passing to the function
before you call it, so that it isn't a problem?

FWIW, I didn't like some of the Linux libc and kernel
function extensions of similar ilk which were brought
into FreeBSD, either: sloppy programmers should learn
to ask people "Would you like fries with that?", and
stay away from computers.

-- Terry