Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 1997 12:16:50 -0800
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
Cc:        j_mini@efn.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stripping the kernel

Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com> stands accused of saying:
> Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org> writes:
>
> > Evan, you are absolutely right. It is Bad and Evil to read things out
> > of the kernel memory. I have hated it from the start. However, look at
> > the uses of the kernel tompling, and come up with an effective
> > efficient way to do the same things, and I will even write it for
> > you. :)
>
> Tompling?

Ooops typo : trompling. (tromp tromp tromp... picture rainboots and puddles)

> There are plenty of alternatives, all in use today:
>
> 	ioctl (think SIOCGIFCONF);
> 	sysctl
> 	/proc file system
> 	special sockets (think PF_ROUTE);
> 	good old poking through the kernel nlist.
>
> Take your pick.  Or invent yet more.  Question to think about:
> how many of the above can be used on kernel dump files?

  I have a borune script that does some of ps's features via procfs, and it
is _really_ slow. :( Also, it misses much of the features I needed, so I never
did use it.

  The problem is processes that open /kernel in order to find symbol locations,
then open /dev/kmem to read the contents of those symbols. This breaks if there
is no kernel image available anywhere once the system boots. (as happens with
MFS root systems)

--
Jonathan Mini 					Ingenious Productions
Software Development				P.O. Box 5693,

 "A child of five could understand this! Quick -- Fetch me a child of five."