Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 2015 19:50:03 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?SmFuIEtva2Vtw7xsbGVy?= <jan.kokemueller@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wayland shm?

> What blocks us today with Wayland compositor is:
>     o  libinput which we need to port
>     o  improvements to the Mesa ports
>
> The first item is not started yet, though there is much interest in it,
> especially for GNOME. There is a completed GSoC about adding evdev to
> FreeBSD which can help here. Otherwise, it should be doable to add
> support for our input stack (though after discussing with upstream
> developers, there is little chance it will be integrated upstream).

Hi,
I've done some initial porting of libevdev and libinput that may be of help:
https://github.com/jiixyj/libevdev
https://github.com/jiixyj/libinput

I've also written a simple evdev implementation in userspace (no
keyboard support yet, though):
https://github.com/jiixyj/evdevfbsd

I've got it to expose my Thinkpad trackpoint/touchpad as devices
/dev/input/event1 and /dev/input/event0, respectively. In X11,
xf86-input-evdev and xf86-input-synaptics (with evdev backend)
successfully pick them up. Only small tweaks are needed:
https://github.com/jiixyj/xf86-input-evdev
https://github.com/jiixyj/xf86-input-synaptics

Also you need something like this in xorg.conf:
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "evdev"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse1"
	Driver      "synaptics"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
EndSection

xf86-input-libinput should also work, but I barely tested that.

Sorry for not posting about this earlier, but this is still very much
experimental and probably won't even work for anyone except me right
now… Still, it might be a good starting point for some "serious" porting
work. I'll try to polish it up a bit and write some documentation.

Cheers,
Jan