Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 1997 23:06:21 -75200 (PST)
From:      Narana Kannappan <narana@gold.csl.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   custom kernel

Hi,

  I have a TOSHIBA 24X atapi cd-rom drive. The current customized kernel
takes a long time (20 seconds) trying to probe for this device during boot time.
 Al the other steps during boot up are quite fast.  I was wondering if there
are any specific lines that I could change in my config file to make this
probing faster.

 I am running 2.2.5-STABLE and here are somem more details:
1) dmesg gives the foll
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <Maxtor 84320D5>
wd0: 4119MB (8436960 sectors), 8928 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6102B/1106>, removable, accel, ovlap, d
ma, iordy
wcd0: 4133/4134Kb/sec, 256Kb cache, audio play, 255 volume levels, ejectable tra
wcd0: 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked

2) the relevant lines in my config file are
options         "CMD640"        # work around CMD640 chip deficiency
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

#controller     wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
#disk           wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
#disk           wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
device          wcd0    #IDE CD-ROM

Thanks,
Narana.