Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:54:27 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unknown process

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 10:48:19AM +0100, Rasputin wrote:
> * Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg> [010419 10:42]:
> > >
> > > It's not either/or.  The only acceptable solution to this situation is
> > > a complete reinstall from a trusted source (e.g. original CD set).
>
> Just a though - do the cvs servers count as 'trusted'?
> How feasible would it be to cvsup and installworld?
>
> I'd personally go for reinstalling the compiler, cvsup binary,
> networking packages, etc from CD
> first - that probably wouldn't be enough, though, would it?

If you're doing this on the same machine, you should also watch out for
kernel modules, rc scripts and stuff..  I say a clean install, and then..
if the previous setup had been right.. all the additional programs and configs
should be easily rebuilt/restored from CVS or similar.  As to the data,
and DATA ONLY, backups should be safe.

G'luck,
Peter

--
I am jealous of the first word in this sentence.