Date:      Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:09:29 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Koop Mast <kwm@rainbow-runner.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB HID support for xf86-input-mouse (including digitizers and touchscreens)

Koop Mast wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 22:31 +0300, Alexander Motin wrote:
>> Alexander Motin wrote:
>>> Looking on xf86-input-mouse, I've found that it includes some code to
>>> support USB HID pointing devices directly using libusbhid library. But
>>> that code seemed like newer worked (at least on FreeBSD) and is quite
>>> limited. Same time that approach would allow us to override different
>>> limitation, now imposed by sysmouse protocol. For example, to support
>>> absolute coordinates, pressure force, multiple touches, etc. I've made a
>>> patch, rewriting it to support wide range of pointing devices. I've
>>> tested it with few mouses, digitizer and two touchscreens.
>> First, I would like to tell about newer patch version:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/patch-zz-input-mouse9
>>
>> Second, I still would like to hear any comments from x11@ people about
>> possibility to include this patch to the xf86-input-mouse port. Patch
>> should not be invasive for existing users, as most of code it touches
>> never worked on FreeBSD before. If with perspective of the port update
>> you need patch for the newer driver version, I will gladly do it, it
>> should not be difficult.
>
> Could you regen the patch against xf86-input-mouse 1.7.1?

Sure. Here it is: http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/patch-zz-input-mouse9.1.7.1
It builds with our present X server, and old code even works, but I
can't test the new, as even without my patch there is some problem with
options parsing -- driver sees no options at all. I suppose it may be
some incompatibility with our present (old) server.

> And does this work on all FreeBSD versions?

I believe so. libusbhid library (the only dependency) exist since
FreeBSD 4.0 and I've successfully built driver with header from FreeBSD
5.1, when it got minor, but critical API change. With some luck it may
even work on other BSDs as well, as our libusbhid came from NetBSD.

--
Alexander Motin