Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:15:51 +0200
From:      Jos Backus <Jos.Backus@nl.origin-it.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [tobi@caida.org: Re: [MRTG-DEV] CDEF's with LT and IF in .42]

Saw this on the MRTG-DEV list.
NaN handling is perceived to be problematic, it seems.

----- Forwarded message from Tobi Oetiker <tobi@caida.org> -----

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 02:16:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Tobi Oetiker <tobi@caida.org>
To: Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
cc: mrtg-developers@list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: Re: [MRTG-DEV] CDEF's with LT and IF in .42

Today you sent me mail regarding Re: [MRTG-DEV] CDEF's with LT and IF in .42:

*> On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 09:01:29PM +0200, Tobi Oetiker wrote:
*>
*> > aha ... thats in a perl context .. sorry I didn't realize ... could you send
*> > me an example rrd and a short programm which demonstrates the problem ?
*>
*> Yes, this does the trick, it's very ugly code ...
*>
*> http://e.t.dk/test.pl	test program, set $this_breaks to have it core dump
*> http://e.t.dk/test.rrd	FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE rrd
*> http://e.t.dk/test.xml	The above dump'ed into xml

OK found your problem .... it is that old FreeBSD does no proper IEEE math

for some comparison operations it raises an sigfpe if an NaN is involved ...

the next release of rrdtool will come with a proper test to find the problem
and a proper fix in the software to ignore sigfpe

cheers
tobi

*> /Jesper
*>
*>

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, hacking RRDTOOL&MRTG @  Caida for the Summer

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Jos Backus                          _/ _/_/_/  "Reliability means never
                                   _/ _/   _/   having to say you're sorry."