Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 01:23:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, phk@FreeBSD.ORG, committers@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Come on guys, close a PR or two, will ya ?

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> > I am not against making our collection more friendly to other *BSD
> > systems, but with the logistics and stuff that's involved, I don't think
> > it's likely that it will reduce our load any....
>
> Coordinating all the system dependent bits is likely to increase load.  I
> am not saying otherwise.  However, this cost is offset by the potentially
> larger base of ports maintainers drawn from all 3 projects.

Well, we already get submissions from a large group, and that does
include several from NetBSD and OpenBSD.  The important thing to keep is
the present understanding of where it's going and who leads it.  Without
an absolute tie-breaker, and a good rationale as to direction, it
degrades into a committee.

I remember a definition of a committee's collective IQ that I subscribe
to:  Take the average IQ of the members and divide by the number of
members.  Never found this wrong ...

> /*
>    Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
>    winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
>    http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
> */

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |