Date:      9 Jul 1995 18:26:21 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comments?

j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch) writes:
>As Bruce Evans wrote:
>>
>> >How does this look for a suggested change?  I know, it depends on the
>> >user's path, but that can be fixed.. This is a suggestion of a possible
>> >style of change only..
>>
>> Fine for the uname change, but we usually don't make things dependent
>> on Makefiles

>...but Peter didn't change this -- the dependency on the Makefile has
>already been there.

Yep.  The bit that I was worried about was adding a dependency on
/usr/bin/uname - an absolute pathname..

To go that way, would for starters, require the "RELEASE!=" setting
to be changed to "RELEASE!= ${DESTDIR}/usr/bin/uname" and the
dependency should have beed ${DESTDIR}/usr/bin/uname - that would
allow the build-onto-another-drive scenario to work correctly.

I, personally, think the better fix is to get send-pr to read the
release at *run time*.  There's no need to rebuild send-pr each time
the system is recompiled.

-Peter