Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 95 10:10:57 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        rcarter@geli.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: TRUE and FALSE -> is this true?

> > |Starting from a running system, you are guaranteed to get everything
> > |working with 2 make worlds, and a 3rd certainly shouldn't hurt.
> >
> > For those of us suping current regularly, and having the make world
> > occasionally fail, does this imply that it might work to try make world
> > twice? (Or three times?)
>
> No, it implies that if a release is to be done, then make world should
> work.  If make world doesn't work, then the release isn't ready.  So,
> assuming a make world works, then it should work multiple times.

For further rationale, look at the gcc documentation about compiler
"stages".

Basically it boils down to compiling the compiler with the compiler
so that it doesn't have the bugs that it has.

8-).

God, I love that explanation.  So much so that I'm going to smile
again.  8-).

Too bad I can't take credit for it.  8-(.

Ah!  I claim paraphrase!

"Build the system with the system on the system so that it doesn't
have the bugs that it has".

8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu