Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 13:39:55 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipfw 'in' and 'out' not counting right?

Hi.

I'm doing some per-interface IP accounting using ipfw, like this:

ipfw add allow ip from any to any via $int in
ipfw add allow ip from any to any via $int out

Which seemed to work with pings, both the packet and bytecounts are right.

But I've noticed that it is counting a lot LESS traffic than is in reality
passing through the interfaces (TCP/UDP stuff..)

And the last rule 'allow ip from any to any' is really very high, considering
at all times there is a pair of rules as shown above for each interface on the
box.

Has anyone set up accounting like this using ipfw before?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			| "I used to be thin, handsome and smart.
<adrian@creative.net.au>	|   Then I discovered UNIX."