Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 11:54:57 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        VCAPUANO@VMPROFS.ESOC.ESA.DE, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and NumLock

>> I see that to have menus working properly I have to turn off the Num
>> Lock key. But, I would like to keep it ON. Are there any work-arounds to
>> have num lock on and still can use the menus ?
>
>Read the configuration file manual page.
>
>What you want to use is "ServerNumLock" in XF86Config (where it goes
>is left as an exercise for the reader).
>
>This should be the *default* setting.
>
>It should the the *default* setting.
>
>Someone add this to the *default* XF86Config, PLEASE!

Making it the default setting only masks the real problem.  The real
fix is in the clients/libs.  For now though, if you want clients that
don't ignore the NumLock modifier state to work while you have NumLock
on, it is the only solution.

At least in XFree86 3.1.2, the default NumLock state will be set to off
when the Xserver starts so that not so many people will be caught out
by this.

David