Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 07:24:39 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Jim Whitelaw <jim@pdsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter vs. natd vs. tcp_wrappers

On 20 May 99, at 11:14, Jim Whitelaw wrote:

> I'm not quite seeing the big picture of how all theses tools fit together
> and what their overlaps are. From what I read it appears that perhaps
> ipfilter offers similar services but better logging options than
> natd/ipfw? And tcp_wrappers appears to be used only in conjunction with
> services started via inetd, is that right? Why would I want (or not want)
> to use any particular method?

I was using ipfw/natd when I first started with FreeBSD.  Then I swapped
to ipfilter after encountering a problem with ipfw.  I can't recall
exactly what it was, but it's in the mailing list archives somewhere.  But
even if this problem were solved, I'd stay with ipfilter.  I like the rule
groups which make it easier to add a new rule.  I think ipfilter is a more
robust and feature rich product.

And yes, tcp_wrappers is only for services started from inetd and then
only for those services which are started and then stopped for each
request (more or less).  Tcp_wrappers is good because it allows you to
specify what hosts can use what services and you can lot the results.
Some could consider this an addition to your firewall.  But I find it much
easier to use the tcp_wrapper then specify the hosts within ipfilter.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/