Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:03:32 +0200
From:      Casper <kl@os.lv>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel motherboard S875WP1-E with SATA un Promise raid problem...

Hi,
I read that there is already discusion about it:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2005-January/009814.html
But it not helped me. I have googled etc working little bit every day,
and turn then the bigest discusion about it is here, so I decidadet to
post q. here.
I have already intel server with S875WP1-E motherboard who is 2 sata
conectors and 4 sata raid conectors and 4 sata disks and I need local
fail server. I thinked I don`t trust match raid and one disk for sys,
backup, another for jail`ed fail server and ir other will be jail`s too.
So I start to install my favorite latest FreeBSD 4.10 and stuck that it
see only 2 disks, how I writed, it not see cotroler or don`t know how to
talk. Ok, I googled and found patch:
http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/ata/ata_stable_sata_7.patch
apply it to source, rebuild and reboot, it found all 4 disks(2 connected
and 2 in raid). OK good, but then after after kernel booted it ask for
particion to put ufs:/dev/ad4s1a not working... So I test again, now
working. Gooled and found yours discusion here. Understand that it is
right time to try 5.3. Start install, it found all 4 disks, good. But
after reboot, the same, ask for ufs:/dev/disk... Ok, I try again with
one disk only connected, it installed, and it booted ok. I connect
other, after boot ok, it shows all. I tryed to configure other by
/stand/sysinstall and fdisk all the time said it not like Geometry...
Mybe thats wrong. All is not stable and somethinkg is wrong.
HD all is WD2500 Caviar SATA, 250Gb.
Anybody is ok with this motherboard and sata?

thanks,

Casper