Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:07:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      25jul01@oldach.net (Helge Oldach)
To:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au (Peter Jeremy)
Cc:        imp@harmony.village.org, ctm-announce@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CTM mirrors

Peter Jeremy:
> I am also behind a corporate firewall.  My internet access is limited
> to e-mail, FTP (incoming only) and HTTP[S] - with FTP/HTTP[S] requiring
> proxy authentication.  Having studied the FreeBSD FAQ and Handbook,
> as well as the CVSup FAQ, I am unable to find any way that CVSup can
> run through any of these channels.

One option would be to establish a SSH tunnel through the firewall's
HTTP proxy (using a CONNECT request) to an outside host using tn-gw-nav.
Although this piece of software is designed for Gauntlet proxies it is
pretty straightforward to modify to suit your firewall's requirements.
Once you have SSH up and running you're able to do all the usual SSH
port forwarding tricks.

See ftp://ftp.nlc.net.au/pub/unix/tn-gw-nav/index.html.

A ~/.ssh/config snippet would look like this:

Host myhost.outside.com
ProxyCommand tn-gw-nav -H -h www-proxy.inside.com -p 8080 %h 22

But then the company policy issue remains... On the other hand, allowing
CONNECT tunnels through a firewall is a well-known known open door.

Helge