Date:      20 Aug 1999 01:11:05 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docproj.docbook.mk cruft, naming, splitting

 * From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>

 * I think it would be nice if the FDP Makefile's drew from, but did not
 * depend on, the system make files in /usr/share/mk.  It would be nice if
 * doc/ was completely self contained, so that you could download it on to
 * pretty much any FreeBSD system and have it build (as long as the
 * appropriate apps are in place).
 *
 * Don't get me wrong -- I think we can still lever a lot of the work that's
 * gone in to the bsd.*.mk files, and I think we should.  But having
 *
 *   doc/share/mk/fdp.own.mk
 *                fdp.docbook.mk
 *                fdp.install.mk
 *                fdp.subdir.mk
 *
 * and so on makes it simpler to transport the doc tree to other systems.
 * Ultimately, all you should need to move is doc/<lang>/* and doc/<share>/*.

Good idea.  All the *BSD's have moved bsd.port.mk out of /usr/share/mk
and into /usr/ports -- there is no reason why the doc tree can't do
the same, for pretty much the same reasons.

Satoshi