Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 17:43:41 -0900 (AKST)
From:      hoopty@ptialaska.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gettytab dialups

hmmm.  after being unable to use gettytab's "ic" and "ac"
functionality with some Practical Peripheral 28.8's
(non-stop init failures, 2.2.2), i tried to just
program the modems directly, leaving behind the
ic/ac stuff.  but now i can only establish a
connection if both the std.XXXX gettytab
entry and the remote dialer agree on
a specific baud rate.

what's odd is i get "CONNECT" messages when the 2 baud rates
differ, but i see the typical "junk" login prompts that one
generally sees when communicating at different baud rates.
the following entries work with pre-programmed modems,
but only if both parties agree on a specific baud
rate (the dialer and dialee):

std.9600|9600-baud:np:sp#9600
std.19200|19200-baud:np:sp#19200
std.38400|38400-baud:np:sp#38400
std.57600|57600-baud:np:sp#57600
std.115200|115200-baud:np:sp#115200

although i do get a CONNECT with any baud rates,
i only get a decent login prompt when they match exactly.
the following is what i used trying the ic/ac thing.
when it worked in the past for me, the ic/ac route
allowed me to connect at the highest mutual speeds.
but this way just isn't working for me at all now,
for some reason (non-stop init failures):

std.9600|9600-baud:np:sp#9600:\
	:ic="" AT&F\r OK\r ATEQ&C1&D2S0=0\r OK\r:\
	:ac=RING\r ATA\r

i would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could enlighten me
on some things they may get me over this hump.

thank you all.