Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 08:40:28 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'must have' packages on first CD

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 04:19:21PM -0600, Steve Price wrote:
> I know I'm probably going to regret asking this and I can't
> guarantee I'll get everyone's favorites in, but... here's
> little exercise in achieving some semblance of customer
> satisfaction.
>
> I'd like to know the top five ports that are a 'must have'
> on the first CD of each FreeBSD release.  I mean which ports
> do people have to have for the first reboot after settting
> up a box and absolutely cannot tolerate sticking in the 2nd
> CD to grab any remaining ports of interest.  I was thinking
> along the lines of a shell (bash/tcsh), an editor (emacs/vim),
> etc.

For another purpose, I asked for the top ten packages on the -newbies
list last year. If you can be bothered checking for it in the archives,
you'll get a pretty good idea of what ports the super-green people will
drive us silly over if they can't find and install them easily.

IIRC it boiled down to about 15 that most new people expected to have
available right from the start, or soon thereafter. From these 15
it would be sensible to discard the nice toys if necessary and ensure
that the rest are all present on the first CD.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-