Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 07:56:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Ralf Schade <ralf.schade@koe.siemens.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: build a new kernel

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Ralf Schade wrote:

>hello,
>now a can build a new kernel and donīt get any errors.
>But I canīt mount my CDROM. A have an entry in /etc/fstab
>/dev/wcd0c    /cdrom      cd9660   ro,noauto    Dump=0   Pass#=0
>
>my CDROM is an E-IDE-CDROM on the secondary Port and there the slave.
>In my kernel-config-file I have the entry
>controller wdc1 ...
>disk    wd2   at wcd1
>
>device wcd0

You also need an 'options ATAPI' entry in your kernel.

>The error message I get if I mount the CDROM is "Device not configured".

>After this I make an entry
>device  wcd3

Take this out of your kernel config.

>But I donīt get a device like /dev/wcd3c.
>
>What is wrong?

You only have one cd and it's name is wcd0c. Change directory to /dev then
type:

./MAKEDEV wcd0

Also, check that your drive jumper is properly set to master or slave as
is appropriate for your system.

>And how can I make a mountpoint for a Win95-partition?
>Can I work with the long filenames?

mount -t msdos /dev/devicename /mnt

Yes you can work with long filenames if you have a newer version of
FreeBSD.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/