Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 1997 13:36:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      borjam@we.lc.ehu.es (Borja Marcos)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   User PPP and mrouted

	Hello,

	I'm posting it here because I'm not sure if this is a bug.

	I have a network connected to the net through my FreeBSD box,
using user-level PPP with aliasing enabled.

	I wanted to do some MBONE tests with a friend (not connected
to MBONE, we simply set up a mrouted tunnel between us).

	So, in the same box with the ppp in aliasing mode,
I started mrouted with a tunnel to my friend's machine.

	He received my igmp messages, and (verifying it with
tcpdump) he was sending them to me, but I idn't receive them.
After a lot of tests, including setting up a ppp-over-tcp
link between our machines, as I thought that some machine
between us was filtering the igmp datagrams, I found that
the igmp was failing because I had aliasing enabled in PPP.
(It was failing also in the ppp-over-tcp link).

	Is this normal? I guess ppp should be transparent to
messages originated at the same machine where the ppp daemon is
running. The curious thing is that he received my igmp messages,
but I didn't receive his messages!

	Thanks,

	Borja.
Borja Marcos			* Internet: borjam@we.lc.ehu.es