Date:      Wed, 11 May 2005 15:05:21 +0200
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Peter Larkowski <peter@larkowski.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: serial console on ultra axe

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 08:17:47AM -0400, Peter Larkowski wrote:
> I upgraded from 5.3 to 5.4 (stable cvsup) yesterday.  I built a GENERIC
> kernel with the audiocs driver added.  I read UPDATING and took note of
> the change to uart, updating /etc/ttys accordingly.  Unfortunately I get
> nothing on the serial console after:
>
> Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
> Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
> nothing to autoload yet.
> jumping to kernel entry at 0xc0048000.
>
> It should be noted that I've never been able to use the default /etc/ttys.
> I've always had to start a getty on /dev/console, which doesn't work
> anymore either.  In any case I'm not even getting kernel messages.  Any
> ideas?  The machine boots normally.  as soon as the disk stops
> thrashing, I can ssh right in.  Here is my dmesg:

Make sure that 'input-device' and 'output-device' are set to e.g.
'ttya'. Normally the firmware is expected to automatically switch
to ttya when they are set to 'keyboard' and 'screen' respectively
but no keyboard is plugged in but especially the firmware of the
AXe has problems to properly determine whether a PS/2 keyboard is
actually plugged in. If everything is set up correctly (including
by the firmware) uart(4) should report that it's the console, e.g.:
uart0: <16550 or compatible> addr 0x14003803f8-0x14003803ff irq 28 on ebus0
uart0: console (9600,n,8,1)