Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 19:22:59 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@inna.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bt848

     You may want to look at both STB board and the WinCast/TV and
WinCast/TVdbx boards.  From what I've seen/heard, Hauppauge has better tech
support and more stable drivers than STB, which is why I went with them.

     Also, one thing to be aware of when scanning the Hauppauge promo info
on their web site:

     http://www.hauppauge.com/hcw/index.htm
     http://206.149.250.27/index.htm

What they refer to as Overlay mode is different than what Amancio's
referring to.

     When doing video-in-window, their MSW95 drivers always do PCI-to-PCI
transfer over the bus.  Their "Overlay Mode" refers to transferring YUV to
the video card and letting the video card do any scaling/quantization (thus
scaling is only limitied by the video card).  Their "Primary Surface Mode"
on the other hand refers to transferring raw pixel data to the video card
in its frame buffer's formats, doing any necessary scaling and quantization
on the WinCast card (which the Bt848 limits to 640x480 for NTSC).  Their
Overlay Mode requires a video card that supports a YUV port and they say
this eats about half a meg of memory on the video card to store YUV frames
as they come in.

     I get very good results running Primary Surface with my Hercules
card.

Randall Hopper

Amancio Hasty: