Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 19:46:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Spam from rival

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997 dwoodward@intraserve.com wrote:

>     If the line is null (i.e. just a <CRLF> is sent) then finger
>     returns a ``default report" report that lists all people logged
>     into the system at that moment.
>
> By doing this several times over a period of days logging the results (a
> cron perl script, logging to a file) do you think they would be able to
> get list of users??

I know somebody who did this every 5 minutes for three months including
a script to summarize the user list so he could keep track of the
competitor's growth. The reason he stopped was that he discovered that
he could just tftp the /etc/passwd file from the competitor's SCO system.

> Plus giving out shell accounts isn't bad, since everyone is so honest
> what possible harm could it cause? Why I just can't wait to sign up
> more. That extra $10 a month is worth it

It is possible to configure a shell machine so that the /etc/passwd file
does not contain usernames, only the userid numbers. This is especially
easy with FreeBSD where you have the complete source. Just change every
mention of /etc/passwd to /.etc/.passwd and then modify adduser to keep a
bogus /etc/passwd file in place for when you forget to modify a package
that you install. There are probably a dozen other ways to secure a shell
machine.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com