Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2023 21:28:07 +0200
From:      Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        white-wolf <white-wolf@blues-softwares.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
Subject:   Re: two USB sound cards on the same FreeBSD system with jackd

On Sat, Apr 1, 2023 at 4:35=E2=80=AFPM white-wolf wrote:
> hello,
> for learn guitar in video conferences, i need to configure two sound card=
s on my FreeBSD Desktop.

> one for connect my guitar by an audiobox USB sound card, no need feedback
> one for my wireless headset microphone
>
> to connect ardour and hydrogen with jack and alsa (or else)
> for use my headset to listen and speak and my audiobox to forward my elec=
tric guitar under zoom or jitsi by pulse (or else)

Hey there, HPS (CC) created amazing free-and-open-source audio
client-server utility dedicated to high quality low latency multiple
online paths audio jamming together called HPSJAM that you need to try
out:

https://github.com/hselasky/hpsjam

It is already in the ports audio/hpsjam, there is a build for macOS and And=
roid.

You need to attach jackd (man jackd) to a selected card first so it is
visible to hpsjam. You can connect multiple soundcards.

Personally everyday I use PulseAudio backend for audio because it
allows ongoing stream re-route to a different devices, control
individual applications volume level, etc, your audio application
needs to support PulseAudio though.

It is possible to have Bluetooth audio on FreeBSD you can do that with
virtual_oss (man virtual_oss) + bluetooth (man bluetooth-config).

At the basic level with a bare base system you have SND infrastructure
(man snd) that creates a /dev/dspX.Y (where X is the card number and Y
is the audio channel) for each audio device (even if its a
microphone). You can then adjust audio volumes with mixer -f
/dev/mixerX and control card parameters with sysctl. Most applications
support OSS so you only need to provide /dev/dspX of your interest to
the application.

But, first of all your audio hardware needs to be supported by a
kernel driver, you can know that by watching dmesg and /dev/dsp*
devices (simplest way of testing what number card use is to make some
noise with cat /dev/random > /dev/dsp0..n) :-)

Have fun :-)

--=20