Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 18:55:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brett Glass <brett@forum.lariat.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mail blocked

It appears that my last several postings to freebsd-chat made it to
the people to whom I was replying but not to the list itself. When
I attempt to send mail to any address ending in "@freebsd.org", the
mail is blocked with a 500-series SMTP error code that looks
like this:

... while talking to hub.freebsd.org.:
>>> DATA
<<< 552 Error: content rejected
554 <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>... Service unavailable
Reporting-MTA: dns; lariat.org
Received-From-MTA: DNS; lariat.org
Arrival-Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 18:22:16 -0700 (MST)

When I send from an address other than the one I normally use,
as I'm doing now, the mail gets through, indicating that the
block is by From: address.

Mail to Jonathan Bresler, the FreeBSD postmaster, at the addresses
jmb@freebsd.org and postmaster@freebsd.org has gone unanswered.
(It, too, is rejected if I send from my usual address but not
if I send from an alternate.)

This blocking has occurred without warning or provocation. Why?

--Brett Glass