Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 19:06:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        paul@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dependencies

>  * Can't we use the pkg* interface to find out if a package is installed or
>  * not? It's much more robust thatn relying on the path being set properly
>  * for all users who might try and install a port.
>
> That is possible, but I thought it would be more robust to use "which"
> because we don't know if the user installed the dependency via pkg_add
> or the ports' "make install".  Note that pkg_info looks only at
> /var/db/pkg.
>
> Also, many ports actually invoke these things during compilation
> and/or installation, so if it's not in the search path, you are dead
> anyway.

A lot of them don't. We probably need two dependencies, one for
ports that need things to build and one that need things in order to run.
The first could be fatal the second should not be.

The current setup is still badly flawed in any case, since if the path is
wrong th port will get rebuilt and installed and the dependency will
end up failing again because the path will still be wrong.

If necessary this should be changed to check the existence of the file
and whether it's executable, relying on the environment path is
not working right.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul