Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:43:59 +0200
From:      "Willie Viljoen" <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        <john@johnrshannon.com>, <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Repetitive filesystem corruption

On ATA drivers, this is commonly caused by a controller that is reporting
data to be written to drive, but is actually write caching it in RAM and
writing it later creating a backlog which mostly isn't noticed.

When the system is shutting down, the controller will suddely report this
backlog to the system and keep the OS waiting until it can clear its own
backlog, before allowing the OS to write further data.

The numbers are you seeing means that two buffers of data cached by the OS
can not be written because the controller is refusing to write them (or
accept them into its own cache, which will mean it gets lost when the system
goes down)

I'm not sure if SCSI devices should be doing this though.

On ATA devices, it can be easily fixed by setting the correct sysctl to 0. I
think it is hw.ata.ata_wc or hw.ata.wc, check ata(4) manpage. This should be
done in /boot/loader.conf, sysctl.conf is too late

This disables hardware write caching on these controllers. There should be a
similar setting for SCSI devices that do this.

You might also want to look at bus speed. I have had one system where the
hard disk controller would not work at 133MHz FSB speed. The PCI clock was
FSB/4, meaning 33.34MHz or thereabouts. If I ran the same system at
124MHz/4, meaning + - 31MHz, the same controller would work perfectly.

Have you carried this controller over from earlier hardware, and is your
system overclocked?

Will