Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 11:00:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc compile error

:Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com> ...
:
:While trying to compile the latest version of XFree86 I found the following
:compiler bug.
:
:{root} gcc -v
:Using builtin specs.
:gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

    I was able to compile up both XFree 3.9.16 with the older egcs release:

	apollo:/src/pub/XFree3.9.15/source/xc# gcc -v
	Using builtin specs.
	gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (egcs-1.1.2 release)

    I'm trying the latest gcc that is in our tree now.  I'm not sure there
    is anything we can do about it, though, except try to isolate the bug
    into a smaller piece of code and pass it onto the GCC group.

    Judging by the previously reported error it may be possible to work
    around the problem by volatilizing some of the variables in the
    procedure the compiler is blowing up in.

						-Matt