Date:      12 Jan 1999 13:53:39 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   perl-based port - a few questions

I am going to create a FreeBSD port of PDL - Perl Data Language.

1.  It seems that most perl-related ports in a port tree have p5-
prefix.  Is it really necessary?  I mean that PDL is a very large
package on its own, and I think that math/PDL is a good name for
it. Can I go for it?

2. It has several optional dependencies, among them OpenGL.  Should I
include those dependencies in the port?  (As I said, they are
optional, it is possible to build PDL without them, though with a
somewhat limited functionality).

3. It requires perl5, which was a port by itself in <= 2.2.7.  Since
PDL has certain scripts, not only modules, how can I ensure that the
correct shebang will be used, i.e. #! /usr/bin/perl for 2.2.8 & 3.0
and #! /usr/local/bin/perl (or other) for <= 2.2.7?

Thank you in advance.

--
Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
The Protein Laboratory, University of Copenhagen